Flag

Flag

Addresses:

Email:
Madison.Healey@myldsmail.net

PHILIPPINES TACLOBAN MISSION:
Sister Madison May Healey
Philippines Tacloban Mission
511 Maharlika Highway
Fatima Village
Tacloban City, LEYTE 6500
Philippines

Monday, January 25, 2016

If you are not a full-time missionary with a missionary badge pinned on your coat, now is the time to paint one on your heart.

Maayong Buntag sa inyo tanan!
(Good morning to you all!)

Pasaylo! (Forgiveness!) I ran out of time last week! But don't worry! I'm still alive! These past 2 weeks have flown by! I'm sure I say that every email but it is so true! 

Last Monday we got up early and whet to the beach to play with some of the members! It was low tide so we were able to go out on the sand where usually it is ocean! It was a lot of fun! I took my beef jerky that mom mailed me (filipinos love beef jerky) and it was so funny, they were all concerned I was eating it "raw." I guess the last time I gave the Abrigo family some jerky, they cooked it then used it as their sud-an, or rice topping. haha I showed them and was just like, guys, it's already cooked. You can just eat it. They were so surprised. While we were out by the water some of the kids went and found a squid that we later cooked and ate. It was a fun P-Day. Last Monday we were just crazy busy and had no time. haha Today we have just cleaned all morning because tomorrow is transfers! Sister Pongyan and I will stay in Naval because we have 6 weeks left of our training. :) Sadly, Sister Maico and Sister Estrera are both transferring out so their area is being whitewashed. We will get new kabalay (roommates)! I'm sad to see them go. 

The Encina family has been really busy this past 3 weeks so we have not been able to teach them, but we will continue trying to help them in every way we can! 

We had exchanges on Friday so we went and worked in Biliran with our STL's! It was so fun! Sister Clerigo and I rode bikes! (no pictures, sayang) People gave me a lot of weird looks. We had to go get the seat raised because I am a lot taller than these tiny filipinas. haha It was quite the experience biking in a skirt, but we made it work. Waray was fun gihapon, and it was fun being in their apartment with so many sisters that night. Sister Sulunga, from Hawaii is super nice. She's half Tongan, half Samoan and she told me I'm her "Toko" which is pretty sweet. (Look it up) I like exchanges because it gives me the opportunity to learn different ways of teaching from other missionaries and you get to meet a lot more people. :) 

This past week we have tried a new way of sharing the gospel and contacting by handing out little Articles of Faith pass-a-long cards that have a map of where the church is drawn on the back, time, place, and the church website www.mormon.org. It has been really effective! We ran out! haha It was so cute, while we were waiting for our Barbecue Isaw (Chicken Intestine) which I tried for the first time, some of the little girls we talked to came and sat with us. We pulled out our little hymn books and taught them how to sing "I Am a Child of God" It was so cute and some people even stopped to listen! I could feel the spirit even though we only sang a song and didn't share anything. They all ran off and played then would come back and ask us what some of the words were again, then run off singing it. It warmed my heart. :) 

I am doing well. Sister Pongyan and I are going strong. I'm going to miss her when she heads out to the states. I love sharing this gospel and helping others come unto Christ. There was a quote I read recently:

"If you are not a full-time missionary with a missionary badge pinned on your coat, now is the time to paint one on your heart." - Elder Neil Anderson

I know that is so true. Before my mission I know I was not good about being a member missionary. I was not good about sharing the gospel. Sometimes I think I was embarrassed even, but don't be. If you are embarrassed of your religion then that means you are embarrassed of your Savior. We should fully embrace and hold dearly to our hearts the restored fullness of the gospel that we have been blessed to have in our lives this day. So I challenge all of you. Be better than I was. Share the gospel. Share the love of Christ with others, whether it is through your example, doing service, sharing an lds quote on FaceBook, or inviting someone to church. There are thousands of ways to be a missionary. As President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, 

"Start where you are. . .  we don’t need to be “more” of anything to start to become the person God intended us to become. God will take you as you are at this very moment and begin to work with you. All you need is a willing heart, a desire to believe, and trust in the Lord." 

I love you all. I know you can do it. Just start now. :)

Amping Kanunay, 

Sister Healey

No comments:

Post a Comment