Flag

Flag

Addresses:

Email:
Madison.Healey@myldsmail.net

PHILIPPINES TACLOBAN MISSION:
Sister Madison May Healey
Philippines Tacloban Mission
511 Maharlika Highway
Fatima Village
Tacloban City, LEYTE 6500
Philippines

Monday, August 22, 2016

I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Maupay na kulop! 

I hope you all had a great week! This past week has been pretty fun!! The weather has been crazy, and we almost has a bagyo here! (typhoon) Stay calm mom, it was just heavy rains. We are safe. :) This week Sister Prudencio and I tried to make it one of our best, and even though not everything went according to plan, it was still an awesome week. 

I wanted to share with you all this awesome missionary moment I can now mark of my bucket list:  Last Thursday Sister Prudencio and I pulled a Dan Jones (one of the greatest missionaries of old). First some background information...there is this one part of our area that a lot of Born-again Christians live and the people have not been very receptive to the message. It has been hard to teach people there. So one investigator of ours told us about how sometimes Jehovah's Witnesses come to this part of the Barangay, gather everyone in the plaza and just teach them all at once and we should just do that. . . . So we did. haha We got a whole box of Books of Mormon and a bunch of Restoration Pamphlets, filled them out with our contact information and what time church is, then we went to this little plaza. We left the supplies with a Branch missionary then went door to door explaining what we were going to do and that everyone needed to be at the plaza by 5. 

By 5 pm, there we were, 2 Americans, standing on this cement bench, telling everyone about who we are, the church, the doctrine of Jesus Christ, and the Restoration of the Gospel. It was mostly kids, and a few adults, but very few people were listening. We didn't really know how to go about it, but we just kept pushing through. Slowly some more adults showed up and people wandered out of their houses, but it was so loud and chaotic. About half way through we were thinking that it was a complete train wreck when a few stray dogs started fighting in the middle of the plaza.  Everyone screamed and scattered, haha, it was so insane. But then the dogs calmed down and we continued. Long story short, even though we don't know if we even did much... and we lost our voices from yelling over the noisy kids and people talking, we got over 30 new investigators, handed out the whole box of BoMs, and a few new families are interested in hearing the message. All of the kids wrote down their information as well to have us come visit their families. I love being a missionary!

Our recent convert, Riza, is doing great!! She is a proud "Mormon" and is already sharing the gospel through little ways with those around her, including her family. She is the only member in her family, but she is letting her light shine forth. :) 

And last but not least, tomorrow is transfers. Sister Prudencio is now transferring to Biliran, Biliran! My new companion will be Sister Russon! She will arrive tomorrow and we are staying here in Catbalogan!! 

That's all for now!  I love you all!! Don't be shy of the gospel! At the beginning of my mission I would get SO nervous to even talk to one person on the side of the road, even a few months ago I don't know if I had the courage to stand on a cement bench and preach until I lost my voice, but I know that anything is possible through our faith in Christ. He can bless us with that courage. We just have to work, pray for it, and show Him that we are NOT ashamed. I held a Book of Mormon above my head and testified of the truthfulness of it to all of those people, and I do so everyday as we go house to house. I know that it is another testament of Jesus Christ. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. And I am not ashamed. 

(Mark 8:35-38)

 35  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.

 36  For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

 37  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

 38  Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Let all let our light so shine! I'm not saying go stand on a bench in the park and do what we did, I'm just saying that every day we have opportunities to share the gospel through our examples and through a brief, simple, powerful sharing of testimony. 

I know that's true. Channel your inner Dan Jones and take courage in Christ. 

Hinay kam perme, 

Sister Healey




Kids in Borogan from exchanges


No comments:

Post a Comment